Agudas Achim Congregation Snow Closure Policy
Weekdays (Monday through Friday)
If the Alexandria City Public Schools close* for the day because of snow, the synagogue is closed. Congregants should not come to the building on these days for any purpose (other than preschool, if it is open).
- Morning and evening minyanim are cancelled.
- Religious School and Adult Education classes are cancelled.
- The synagogue office is closed. Congregants should assume that appointments with professional staff members are cancelled.
- Special programs and activities scheduled to take place in the building are cancelled.
- Congregants having emergencies should call the emergency phone number, rather than calling the office.
If the Alexandria City Public Schools have a delayed opening:
- Morning minyan is cancelled, but evening minyan will take place at its normal time.
- The synagogue office will open at its usual time. Congregants’ appointments with professional staff members will take place as scheduled.
- Religious School and adult education classes will take place as scheduled.
- Special programs and activities scheduled in the synagogue building will take place as planned.
If the Alexandria City Public Schools close early:
- Evening minyan is cancelled. The synagogue office will remain open until its normal closing time, subject to the Executive Director’s discretion.
- Religious School and adult education classes are cancelled.
- Afternoon and evening activities scheduled for the synagogue are cancelled.
Shabbat (both Friday evening and Saturday morning)
- Shabbat services, both evening and morning, will take place as scheduled.
- As streets and parking lots will not be plowed, congregants should not plan to drive to the synagogue. Those opting to walk should carefully consider personal safety and their health, as sidewalks in and around the synagogue will likely not be cleared.
- If Alexandria City School Saturday activities are cancelled, there will be no Shabbat morning religious school programs.
- The Education Director will make the decision to hold or to cancel Religious School classes.
- If Religious School is closed, morning and evening minyanim are cancelled.
- If Religious School is closed, afternoon youth programs and other special activities scheduled at the synagogue are also cancelled.
The Rabbi, in consultation with the involved family and the Executive Director, will determine whether to proceed with life-cycle events affected by snow closures. If the Rabbi is away, the Hazzan will assume this responsibility.
*Note: ABC, CBS and NBC TV broadcast closures of the Alexandria City Public Schools, as does WTOP radio (can add other radio stations broadcasting closures, if desired). ACPS also posts closure information on its webslie, www.acps.k12.va.us.Adopted by the Board of Directors: 10/20/10